to eat up, for an animal

< Previous | Next >

cornejo

Banned
Czech
Hello.

How can I say "eat up" in English when it relates to an animal?

sentence: The dog "ate up" all his food very quickly.

suggestion: scoff, devour, eat up

Thank you.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I always feel "devour" is a little "formal": as if that is what is expected, but rarely said in real life. I don't think I've ever said that my dogs devour their food.

"The dog ate all of his food." / "The dog wolfed his food down." :thumbsup:

e2efour

UK English
    When a parent says to a child Eat up your food, there is no idea of doing it quickly or devouring it. Only finishing it.

Otherwise, it can also have the meaning of devour (in the sense of eating something with enthusiasm or gusto), as GWB points out.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I don't think I've ever said that my dogs devour their food.
    I have indeed said that about my dog, as in "I guess he liked the new food, he devoured it in two seconds!" When he eats really quickly, I also have described that as "he inhaled his dinner", but I suspect that this joking use of inhale might confuse a learner.

It makes sense to speak of a dog wolfing down his food, but it would sound odd to speak, for example, of a rabbit "wolfing" a piece of lettuce.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "Gobble up" is another possibility.

Note that English allows you to use these alternatives for "eat", but it's fine to use the verb "eat (up)" for animals and humans alike. We don't require a special verb just for animals.

< Previous | Next >