to educate and warn each other of such crimes

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi,

To protect against scams, seniors are joining together to educate and warn each other of such crimes.
If I reverse the position of educate and warn in this sentence, then I suppose it should go like this:

To protect against scams, seniors are joining together to warn and educate each other on such crimes.
Am I right?

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    This does not seem right to me. Verbs that require different prepositions cannot use other, different prepositions belonging to other verbs. One may say children walk, run, and skip to the playground because walk to, run to, and skip to all make sense. However, while one may be warned of something, one may not be educated of something, and so the sentence does not work.

The solution is either to find a preposition that works for both (such as "about": to educate and warn each other about such crimes) or else to recast the sentence in some way that uses all the necessary prepositions: The file contains letters sent by, or received from, the Queen of Ruritania.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    This does not seem right to me. Verbs that require different prepositions cannot use other, different prepositions belonging to other verbs. One may say children walk, run, and skip to the playground because walk to, run to, and skip to all make sense. However, while one may be warned of something, one may not be educated of something, and so the sentence does not work.

The solution is either to find a preposition that works for both (such as "about": to educate and warn each other about such crimes) or else to recast the sentence in some way that uses all the necessary prepositions: The file contains letters sent by, or received from, the Queen of Ruritania.
    But I don't get what you mean; Do you mean my original sentence is wrong?
    To protect against scams, seniors are joining together to educate and warn each other of such crimes.:cross::confused:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    GWB has pinpointed why your original sentence sounds odd.
    To protect against scams, seniors are joining together to educate and warn each other of such crimes.
    Let's take the sentence apart a little then see what it says about educate and warn - separately.
    To protect against scams, seniors are joining together to
    educate
    and
    warn
    each other of such crimes.
    We have two verbs linked by and.
    For the sentence to be correct, it must be correct with both verbs individually.

To protect against scams, seniors are joining together to warn each other of such crimes.
    That's a perfectly good sentence.

To protect against scams, seniors are joining together to educate each other of such crimes.
    That is not a good sentence. We don't say to educate of ...

GWB suggests that one way to correct this is to use about instead of of.
    If you substitute about into each of the above sentences you will see that they both sound good.

Or to put it more simply, I think GWB is saying the original sentence is wrong.
    I agree with him.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Thank you very much GreenWhiteBlue and panjandrum for your very helpful explanation and now I see your point. I'm just a little surprised to learn this structure is wrong because it's written by native English speakers and seemed okay at the first time I read it.

cuzza

England, English
    i would say "to warn and educate each other with regard to such crimes.
    sounds a bit better than "about". but you are right, english natives make this mistake all the time

< Previous | Next >