to educate somebody to/on/about/into s-thing?

Jessila

France, french
Hi,

I'm having issues about the translation of this passage of a long sentence about the missions of Universities and Higher Education:
"produire les acteurs de la vie économique, éduquer des citoyens du monde aptes à accepter autrui dans son altérité, à valoriser la diversité culturelle au service de la paix"

my attempt:
" to produce the future actors of economic life, to educate citizens into accepting each other in their otherness, to promote cultural diversity at the service of peace."

well at first I was mostly having issues about the preposition to use after "citizens", but now that I re-read myself, I'm pretty sure to have make other mistakes, so don't hesitate to tell me about it ;-)

Thanks ^^

• akaAJ

American English, Yiddish
    I'd change to "citizens capable of accepting". It's not the best example of "langue de bois" that I've seen lately, but it's pretty good.

Jessila

France, french
    well don't shoot the messenger lol, the text is not from me, these lines are from a book I have to study for my exams

I like your proposition, it sounds good ^^
    is the rest of my sentence correct, I'm afraid that it sounds a little odd, doesn't it?

mgarizona

US - American English
    You can take or leave from among the following:

... to produce key players in the global economy, to train "citizens of the world" capable of accepting others in all their heterogeneity, to promote cultural diversity in the service of peace.

(The "in" there in the last bit I especially recommend.)

mgarizona

US - American English
    Educate on ... is conceivable I guess, in certain circumstances, though none spring to mind.

There is in fact no call for a preposition following educate in the sentence given. The à relates to apte, not to éduquer. On éduque des citoyens du monde. De quel genre? Ceux apte à etc.

johndot

English - England
    “To educate” is a transitive verb which is followed by the full infinitive, I think: to educate (people) to do/accept/behave etc.

< Previous | Next >