to enter a university

< Previous | Next >

polar44

Banned
Korean
Some English teachers say it sounds award if I say that students study hard to enter a university, but others say that is is ok. What is your opinion? Can I say the verb ' enter' ?

Students in Japan are forced to study a lot to enter a univeristy since childhood.

• AskLang

Filipino
    I am a non-native but in my opinion get into would fit here.

Students in Japan are forced to study a lot to get into a univeristy since childhood. Hope that helped. :)

amgfnyc

English-American
    I don't think it's really WRONG to say "enter a university", but yes, it is awkward and maybe somewhat formal. I would say "get into a university" or "gain admission to a university".

amby

Banned
    chinese
    Then, in the following sentence, should I replace ' enterting ' with ' getting into a university ' or ' going to college'?

After entering university( or after going to college or getting into a university), some students neglect their studies. They just handout with their friends and enjoy a party.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    You can say all three, but they mean different things.

"Getting into" refers to when the university accepts the student. In the U.S., this is usually in the spring before their studies will begin.
    "Entering" refers to when your studies start. In the U.S., this is usually in late August or early September.
    "Going to" refers to the entire time you are there, so "after going to" means after you leave (with or without graduating).

So, using "getting into" would mean they neglect their studies in the last few months of secondary school. That is possible.
    Using "entering" would mean they neglect their studies at the university. That is also possible, but it is different.
    "Going to" would mean they neglect their studies after they leave the university. That would not make sense.

< Previous | Next >