to equate to

njcaviet

English, UK
I am wondering if i have made up the phrase "se traduire en". (I am hoping it means "to equate to").

For context:

(Ayant decrit la conduite d'un parti politique...)
"Tout cela se traduit en un rejet concret de l'ideologie"

• njcaviet

English, UK
    I effectively want to say "This (the party's behaviour) equates to (is) a clear rejection of the ideology".

If i say "tout cela se traduit par un rejet concret de l'ideologie", would my meaning be understood?

njcaviet

English, UK
    Sorry, I still feel unsure about using "se traduire par" myself.

Would you mind giving me a few other sentences so I can see how the phrase works/what it means?

Vegas

France - French
    In french "se traduire par" means most of the time : "to be shown by".
    If you mean that what they said means that they reject the ideology, you can write :
    => Tout cela équivaut à un rejet concret de l'idéologie

kwentinn

Montpellier, France
    Otherwise, you can say "Cela correspond à un rejet concret de l'idéologie"
    I think this matches much better what you want to say

njcaviet

English, UK
    Thank you Vegas - i had a feeling i hadn't properly understood how to use se traduire! Your suggestion "Tout cela équivaut à un rejet concret de l'idéologie" is actually much closer to my meaning.

Thanks again to all :)

Sylva

Belgium - French
    The following sentences are partly inspired by a google search:

Les mauvaises récoltes se sont traduites par une fortes augmentation du prix des céréales.

Ces plusieurs années de guerre se sont traduites par la destruction du système scolaire.

Les sanctions économiques contre tel pays se sont traduites par le gel des exportations de matières premières.

La crise que connaît le secteur métallurgique s'est traduite par la perte de milliers d'emplois.

Hope it helps!

njcaviet

English, UK
    Thank you so much for doing that Sylva, it's really made me get to grips with the word! I've looked in to what each sentence means to me, and realise that "se traduire par" tends to mean "has lead to/resulted in/meant" as well as "is shown by/manifests itself as". (Correct me if i'm wrong!)

Les mauvaises récoltes se sont traduites par une fortes augmentation du prix des céréales. Poor harvests have lead to huge increases in cereal prices

Ces plusieurs années de guerre se sont traduites par la destruction du système scolaire. These long years of war have meant the destruction of the education system

Les sanctions économiques contre tel pays se sont traduites par le gel des exportations de matières premières. Economic sanctions against this country have resulted in the freezing of primary material exports

La crise que connaît le secteur métallurgique s'est traduite par la perte de milliers d'emplois. The crisis in the metal sector has resulted in the the loss of thousands of jobs

eclypse

UK
    english
    How about the modified "traduisant", as in the following example, how would that translate?

Mil Merci

Traduisant un équilibre entre des intérêts globalement convergents mais néanmoins souvent contradictoires à court terme, le régime de droit d'auteur représente au demeurant un cas d'école pour l'expression par les pouvoirs publics de l'intérêt général.

< Previous | Next >