to exaggerate with alcohol

Peter SLP

Polish
Hi all,

I don't know if I can use the word 'to exaggerate' in the following context. Please submit your suggestions.

" I tend to exaggerate with alcohol. I get drunk very easily and do stupid things."

• Barque

Tamil
    No, that doesn't sound correct to me.

What's it exactly that you're trying to say with "exaggerate"? That you have a weakness for alcohol, or that it affects you easily?

Dryan

English - Northeastern U.S.
    I don't think I would say that. I tend to exaggerate with alcohol sounds like a cutesy way to say I'm a drunkard.
    It's colorful but not what I think you mean.

An idiomatic expression I am very used to is "I'm a lightweight. I get drunk very easily and do stupid things."
    N.b.
    This is likely unique to AE.

Last edited:

WestSideGal

English, US
    In the US we don't typically say that. You can be a "sloppy" drunk and "get sloppy" when you drink...another way of expressing it is that you "can't hold your liquor" and so would tend to do "stupid things"

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The intended meaning isn't clear to me either. I think everyone knows that when we drink too much we get drunk and do silly things, but what do you mean by "exaggerate"? :)

Do you mean that you overindulge (drink to excess)?

Peter SLP

Polish
    The intended meaning isn't clear to me either. I think everyone knows that when we drink too much we get drunk and do silly things, but what do you mean by "exaggerate"? :)

Do you mean that you overindulge (drink to excess)?
    I mean that someone drinks way too much and he or she cannot control it.

manfy

German - Austria
    I see. We have the very same expression in German - but 'exaggerate' is a "false friend" here. "I tend to overdo it with alcohol" might work.

< Previous | Next >