To explore a website = to read each and every word written in a website

< Previous | Next >

Lun-14

Banned
Hindi
One of my friends asked me to tell her some website where she could memorize idioms. I recommended her a website for idioms. But there are more English grammar topics that have been explained in this website apart from idioms. There are also some grammar exercises for learners in this website. This website also teaches some language learning techniques, and so on...
I advised her to check each and evey thing given in this website so she can benefit more and more from it.
I said to her:
Visit xxx.com to memorise idioms. To benefit from this website fully, you'll have to explore this website.
To "explore" a website -> to check/have a look at/read each and every point explained in a website.

Is the verb "explore" correct here? If not, what verb should I use?

Consider this website a grammar book and read each and every word of this book.

Thanks a lot.

• lingobingo

English - England
    It’s not wrong to talk of exploring a website, but neither is it an expression normally used by native English-speakers.

I don’t think there is any particular way of saying take note of absolutely everything on a website.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Is the verb "explore" correct here? If not, what verb should I use?
    In AE it makes sense to "explore" a website. But "explore" doesn't mean "read everything". It means "look around at various things", just like "exploring Paris" or "exploring the courses that school offers".

I advised her to check each and evey thing given in this website so she can benefit more and more from it.
    what verb should I use?
    You used "check". You could use "read", or "study". It is the verb-object, not the verb, that says what you study. In this case, she should study "every single thing on the website".

Note: "each and every thing" (which you wrote) is another good phrase for "every single thing".

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Explore" is like "investigate" or "study". Its literal use is "to explore a place". If I am on a vacation trip to Paris, I will go to many different parts of the city, to learn what is there. That is "exploring Paris". It is not complete. I could "explore Paris" for 5 days, or for 500 days, and still not see everything and learn everything.

"Exploring" is the process: it is what I do each day, seeing more of Paris and learning more about Paris.

For a school, you start out not knowing about its courses. You get a book (or website), often called a "course catalog", that lists every course, and has a description of every course. Then you spend time studying this book, learning from it. That is "exploring". You do not have an exact plan: as you learn things, you will decide what to look at next.

< Previous | Next >