to expose disgust

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saklig

Denmark
Hi

Is this sentence correct?In my opinion doing these activities are great ways to expose disgust the automation and the unsustainable development we experience in the society today.

I want to use the word expose. However, is it the right word to use?

Here is the context:
Furthermore, there have been several vital activities which have taken place on the Buy Nothing Day. For instance, on the Activist Day in Norway and the UK there were completely shopping free zones, street theatre, games for children and considerable information concerning the Activist Day. How many activists would not do the same thing all over the world? In my opinion doing these activities are great ways to expose disgust the automation and the unsustainable development we experience in the society today.

Thanks for answering, I tried to figure out the answer, but I did not find it.

• Lexiphile

England English
    In my opinion, doing these activities are great ways to .....

I want to use the word expose. However, is it the right word to use?
    but after "great ways," I run out of steam, because it's not clear who is disgusted or to whom that disgust is being exposed; nor how it is being exposed; nor what exactly is disgusting.

Can you explain what it is you want to say?

Saklig

Denmark
    Did you mean "express disapproval"?
    Yes, I do. Therefore, does this sentence look good?
    In my opinion, doing these activities are great ways to express disapproval towards the automation and the unsustainable development we experience in the society today.

Lexiphile

England English
    You still need to get rid of the doing, Saklig. Otherwise it is grammatically wrong. You could say "doing these activities is...," but it doesn't sound good. One doesn't usually do activities.

And do the activities really express disapproval towards automation? Poor, innocent automation? What did it do wrong, to deserve disapproval?

Saklig

Denmark
    You still need to get rid of the doing, Saklig. Otherwise it is grammatically wrong. You could say "doing these activities is...," but it doesn't sound good. One doesn't usually do activities.

And do the activities really express disapproval towards automation? Poor, innocent automation? What did it do wrong, to deserve disapproval?
    Thanks for answering. What should I use instead of "doing"?
    Furthermore, in my essay I have explained what is wrong with it in earlier paragraphs.

Lexiphile

England English
    You don't need to use anything. Just leave it as "...,these activities are great ways...."

Regarding automation, are you certain you're using the right word, even in the earlier paragraphs? It seems an odd aspect of technological development to have a "down" on, considering how much it relieved and still relieves thousands of people from doing dangerous and demeaning work, at no noticeable cost to the environment.

Saklig

Denmark
    You don't need to use anything. Just leave it as "...,these activities are great ways...."

Regarding automation, are you certain you're using the right word, even in the earlier paragraphs?
    Yes, I am. My text is pro Buy Nothing Day.

Lexiphile

England English
    Yes, I can see what you're trying to promote. But I think you've picked the wrong enemy. If you want people to take your arguments seriously, you need to make sure you can back them up. Slagging everything that smells of business, progress and comfort is likely to make you look blinkered and unrealistic. I suggest you look carefully at "automation" to be sure it's something you really want to object to. I suspect you mean something else, but I can't guess what it might be.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Exhibit disgust" would work.

Of course, "disgust" is a strong word. On the other hand, "disapproval" might not be a strong enough. I like demonstrate, though it's a bit obvious, direct, or on point. "Condemnation" might be a good compromise.

Saklig

Denmark
    Just to be on the safe side, would this be correct Lexiphile?

In my opinion, these activities are great ways to express disapproval towards the...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >