1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

to fall/drop like bowling pins

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ekbatana, May 30, 2011.

1. ekbatana Senior Member

Innsbruck, Austria
    German Austria
    What's the meaning(s) of to fall like bowling pins? To be defeated, to fall for someone (reference 3)?

1. Major political players fall like bowling pins. Giant political names tumbled to their defeat, one after another, on a night that saw four cabinet ministers and some of the country's most prominent politicians cascading like dominoes to their electoral demise.

2. Time for Tiger to bring out the billion $ lawyers and take these bimbo's down. If they want to talk, Tiger only has to say one work, SLANDER. He'll wear them out in court. Who has enough money to keep pace with his defense team. Not that will be the story. They'll drop like bowling pins.

3. In a conversation with him this week, Helms seemed like a sweet, modest guy. But if I see one more movie where grown-up, multidimensional women fall like bowling pins for a hapless man-child, I think I truly will hurl.

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    This is figurative language, Ekbatana. It means that these people are easily defeated or conquered by somebody else. If they "fall like bowling pins", then many of them will fall at the same time because of some force.

3. ekbatana Senior Member

Innsbruck, Austria
    German Austria
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, owlman, to conquer meakes perfect sense for the third reference (the women falling for the guy) so that I'm perfectly happy now.