to ferry the miners the 140 miles

tobegood

Mandarin-Cantonese
The entry of "ferry" in an online dictionary contains this sentence:
It was still dark when five coaches started to ferry the miners the 140 miles from the Silverhill colliery.

I am confused by the structure of the latter part of the sentence. Could it mean "through the journey of 140 miles from the Silverhill colliery"? Or is there a pattern of "ferry somebody an amount of distance"? If it is the latter, do we have "I will drive you ten miles to the cottage" as a similar pattern?

Thanks.

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    It would mean the latter. You could consider "ferry" to mean something/someone transporting someone/something somewhere + amount of distance.

So, yes: I will drive you (the) ten miles to the cottage.

That makes sense to me. I hope I've understood your query correctly.

tobegood

Mandarin-Cantonese
    It would mean the latter. You could consider "ferry" to mean something/someone transporting someone/something somewhere + amount of distance.

So, yes: I will drive you (the) ten miles to the cottage.

That makes sense to me. I hope I've understood your query correctly.
    Thank you very much.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'The' is brought in by the following specification of which distance it is. You can drive or ferry someone 140 miles, and you can drive or ferry someone the 140 miles to (or from) the colliery. It is also used when the distance has other functions, such as subject: The 140 miles from the colliery is now covered by a high-speed rail line. (Plain '140 miles' can't be used there.)

tobegood

Mandarin-Cantonese
    'The' is brought in by the following specification of which distance it is. You can drive or ferry someone 140 miles, and you can drive or ferry someone the 140 miles to (or from) the colliery. It is also used when the distance has other functions, such as subject: The 140 miles from the colliery is now covered by a high-speed rail line. (Plain '140 miles' can't be used there.)
    Hi, thank you for your detailed explanation.

< Previous | Next >