to fill someone's solitude

< Previous | Next >

keramus

Persian
Hello everybody

Jane broke up with her boyfriend. After that, she hung out with Cathy and spent most of her time with her but 6 months later, Jane found another boyfriend. Jane doesn't hang out with Cathy anymore because she spends her time with her new boyfriend.

When Jane was single, she liked hanging out with Cathy to fill her solitude.

Does the highlighted part sound correct and natural in English?

Thanks.

• Barque

Tamil
    No, I'm afraid it doesn't. You could just end the sentence at "Cathy".

If I heard the term "fill her solitude" without context I'd understand it as something done while someone was alone, during a period of solitude.

se16teddy

English - England
    When Jane was single, she liked hanging out with Cathy to fill her solitude.
    This sounds fine to me. The structure is literary, not conversational. I suppose it is a kind of transferred epithet - being with Cathy filled the time periods when Jane would otherwise be worrying about her solitude. The reader wonders whether or not the "filling" in fact successfully dispelled the sense of solitude.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    It's correct grammatically but it's a very literary style which doesn't match the context you've given us very well, and, more particularly, conflicts with the informal expression "hanging out" in that sentence.

I wouldn't use it. :(

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I agree with Donny that the phrase doesn't sound well in combination with "hanging out". I also think that it isn't even necessary to explain that Jane was hanging out with Cathy "so as not to feel lonely".

When Jane was single again, she started hanging out with Cathy more/she began to spend more time with Cathy. The reason seems obvious to me.

< Previous | Next >