to fluff a pillow

Nywoe

Canada: English and French
Hi!!

What is the proper term when speaking of "fluffing up a pillow"? Is there a less colloquial phrase??

Thanks!!

N.

• aigle491

USA English, Russian
    I do not believe that there is a more proper term for fluffing up a pillow. BUT It might be: "to neaten a pillow by means of smacking it"

modgirl

USA English
    aigle491 said:
    BUT It might be: "to neaten a pillow by means of smacking it"

LOL! I like that; the pillow becomes a bit of a punching bag!

To aigle491, "fluff up a pillow" is what I would say.

Focalist

European Union, English
    Nywoe said:
    Hi!!

What is the proper term when speaking of "fluffing up a pillow"? Is there a less colloquial phrase??

Thanks!!

N.
    I am intrigued, Nywoe, as to why you would think the colloquialness of "fluffing up a pillow" problematic. Surely "the less colloquial" do not give a stuff about pillow fluffing... any more than they say "cutch up to your old dad now"! :):)

F

Nywoe

Canada: English and French
    It just seemed while writing that the term "to fluff up" was not correct, although it does seem to be the correct choice now. It simply seemed as if there would be a slightly more formal way of expression the thought. Seems to be the one and only though!!!

N. :)

P.S.: You made a good point that those who would normally use a higher level of language would not ever use the phrase in any case!!!

modgirl

USA English
    Oh, I can see a billionaire waving a little bell and saying, "Maid, please come and fluff up my pillow!"