to follow (a rule)

Schizophrenic Cat

Turkish
Hi,

I couldn't find much about this on the internet. Do we use 守る to say ''to follow (a rule)'' in the most basic sense? Example: 規則を守てください. What are some other words and their level of formality? Thanks in advance.

• gengo

American English
    It would be helpful if you gave us a full example sentence. As you know, words usually can't be translated outside of context.

Schizophrenic Cat

Turkish
    It would be helpful if you gave us a full example sentence. As you know, words usually can't be translated outside of context.
    What's above is pretty much the whole context. However, that's enough context, isn't it? The focus is not on what word we use for ''rule'' (I take it to be 規則), but on what verbs we use to say ''follow (rules)''. Think of it like this:

EN = JPN

Take = lots of options
    Take (time) = かかる

Follow = lots of options
    Follow (rules) = ?

I'd just like to know what the Japanese verbs we can use to mean ''to follow (a rule)'' are and how formal they are. For example, ''abide by'', in English, is one verb we can use and it is formal. However, ''follow'', another verb we can use, is not necessarily so.

Flaminius

hedomodo
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Indeed 守る is the most basic verb that takes any kind of rules as its direct object. You may also want to know that 信号を守る (follow the traffic light) is one of the first instructions that you receive from your parents or in kindergarten.

I cannot dispense all the verbs you can use, but let me list two. The intransitive 従う is literally to obey, but it collocates with 規則 quite well: 規則に従ってください。

This is more formal than 守る.

There is a more formal 遵守する, a transitive verb. This is probably more flowery than formal. Presumably, the standard word choice in written language is 従う.

Schizophrenic Cat

Turkish
    Indeed 守る is the most basic verb that takes any kind of rules as its direct object. You may also want to know that 信号を守る (follow the traffic light) is one of the first instructions that you receive from your parents or in kindergarten.

I cannot dispense all the verbs you can use, but let me list two. The intransitive 従う is literally to obey, but it collocates with 規則 quite well: 規則に従ってください。

This is more formal than 守る.

There is a more formal 遵守する, a transitive verb. This is probably more flowery than formal. Presumably, the standard word choice in written language is 従う.
    Thanks a lot! Those are enough for a beginner.

gengo

American English
    What's above is pretty much the whole context. However, that's enough context, isn't it?

No. As you see from Flaminius's post, there are other verbs that can be used (if there weren't, you wouldn't be asking this question), and which one to use is determined by context, of which you have provided basically nothing.