To/For many people

sbin19

Türkçe
It comes from a text about scince

"This was the case a little more than thirty-five years ago with a device called the laser. To many people , lasers were very mysterious."

My question is related to "blue-coloured sentence". Could you explain whether we can use "for " instead of "to" here, and why ?

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    Either one is acceptable. I don't know if there's a precise explanation, but if it helps, it's logical and idiomatic to say either "Lasers were very mysterious to many people" and "for many people."

sbin19

Türkçe
    TV's "Extreme Makeover" program is a symptom of a larger population : The standard of beauty has shifted so far that one can't attain it without major surgical help . For women , that means that even a gorgeous woman who is a size 38 or 40 can only be a "plus-size" model. For men , it used to mean that a great looking face...

Considering this blue-coloured part ,could you tell me whether "for" is different from "to" here and if it is so ,where the difference comes from ?

kalamazoo

US, English
    "To many people, lasers were mysterious" means that the people found the lasers mysterious and did not understand then. "For women, that means X" means that "As applied to the population of women, the effect of the change of the standard of beauty is X."

Forero

To many people, LASERs were mysterious. = Many people thought LASERs were mysterious.
    For women, that means .... For men, it used to mean .... = When/as this (the "fact" that the standard of beauty has shifted so far) is applied to women, it means .... Applied to men, it used to mean ....

For and to are very common prepositions, and each has many uses/meanings.

< Previous | Next >