to get a free reparation of the product

< Previous | Next >

erroranalysis

German
A student wrote:

As the smarthphone does not work as it should and therefore does not comply with the legal standards of product quality, I am writing you to get a free reparation of the product. (It's a letter of complaint, by the way.)

Even though dictionaries also list reparation, I'd normally use repair. However, to get a free repair of the product does not sound good either. Any ideas from you? I can only come up with a lenghty rewrite: I would like to ask if you could repair it for free.

Last edited:
  • suzi br

English / England
    I have never seen reparation used in such a mundane context, I've met it used in context like the aftermath of war or other massive upheaval, so I would say do not try to use it here.
    You rewrite is fine.
    There are other ways you can say it, but if you want a repair that is what you should ask for.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    "Repairing" is not a common meaning of "reparation", even if dictionaries list it. Normally it means "repaying". If you used it in your letter, they would think you wanted your money back.

I agree with Suzi - your "lenghty rewrite" is the shortest way to say what you mean.

< Previous | Next >