to get my membership deactivated

< Previous | Next >

Mack&Mack

Korea & Korean
Hello,

I am wondering how I can convey this idea.

I hold a gym membership which is available for 2 more months, and I need to go abroad for a month now. What would I say if I wanted to get my membership deactivated for a month (not sure if this is correct either) so that I would not waste a month of membership period.

What if I wanted to get mobile phone deactivated for a month too?

Would anyone please help me with this? Thank you in advance.

• Copyright

American English
    I would like to suspend my membership for thirty days.
    I would like to suspend my mobile phone plan for thirty days.

In my experience, "thirty days" is more appealing to the companies than "a month," which sounds a little less precise. By the way, be ready for rejection, especially from the mobile phone company. :) But good luck.

Mack&Mack

Korea & Korean
    I would like to suspend my membership for thirty days.
    I would like to suspend my mobile phone plan for thirty days.

In my experience, "thirty days" is more appealing to the companies than "a month," which sounds a little less precise. By the way, be ready for rejection, especially from the mobile phone company. :) But good luck.
    Thank you very much, Copyright. I will be ready for rejection. :(

Would you please help me with another question? If I paid 4 weeks of rent a week ago and am leaving today, would you say the same thing to my landlady? (I am not leaving today though)

Can I suspend my rent while I am away?

What do you think? Thank you again indeed. :)

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Would you please help me with another question? If I paid 4 weeks of rent a week ago and am leaving today, would you say the same thing to my landlady? (I am not leaving today though)

Can I suspend my rent while I am away?

What do you think? Thank you again indeed. :)
    If you are leaving and not returning (so that she can rent the room/flat/apartment/property out to someone else), then you can say: I would like to ask if you could give me a refund.

Since there may be clean-up time, plus time for her to find a new renter, you could say: I would like to ask if you could give me a partial refund. (Say, two weeks rather than the full three weeks.)

A lot will depend on any contract you have with her, and her ability to rent the place out again quickly, and her mood. :) Good luck again.

Of course, if you're going away and returning to the same place and leaving all your things there, then you can't expect anything because you're still the occupant. But that's not what I understand from your timeline.

Mack&Mack

Korea & Korean
    Of course, if you're going away and returning to the same place and leaving all your things there, then you can't expect anything because you're still the occupant. But that's not what I understand from your timeline.
    Thank you Copyright again. I really appreciate your help.

Copyright, I am afraid I didn't get my question across properly. I was not sure if it was right to call the lady whose house I am living in my landlady. I am just renting a small room in her house, sharing the kitchen, bathroom, dining room, and the like.

The thing is that she is not so strict when it comes to rent that she a long time ago told me that I don't have to pay the rent while I am away unless the period of time I am away is more than, say, three months.

I now don't want to sound rude by giving her the impression that I take it for granted that I don't have to pay the rent while I am away, but I'd like to double check if it is all right for me to suspend the money paid already to cover the weeks after I come back.

Again, I am sorry I didn't explain my situation fully, and thank you for your help all the time. :)

Copyright

American English
    Thank you Copyright again. I really appreciate your help.

Copyright, I am afraid I didn't get my question across properly. I was not sure if it was right to call the lady whose house I am living in my landlady. I am just renting a small room in her house, sharing the kitchen, bathroom, dining room, and the like.

The thing is that she is not so strict when it comes to rent that she a long time ago told me that I don't have to pay the rent while I am away unless the period of time I am away is more than, say, three months.

I now don't want to sound rude by giving her the impression that I take it for granted that I don't have to pay the rent while I am away, but I'd like to double check if it is all right for me to suspend the money paid already to cover the weeks after I come back.

Again, I am sorry I didn't explain my situation fully, and thank you for your help all the time. :)
    That's a little clearer, but I'm still not certain if you're going to continue living there for a long time after you return. And it seems a little unusual for her not to want payment for a short period but want it for a long period. Still, it's her home. :)

In either case, it is quite polite to mention it again."You once said that it would be all right if I didn't pay for short times that I'm away. Is that still all right, or would you like to reconsider? I'll be gone for three weeks."

Other than that, which is just off the top of my head, anyone who is as polite as you will think of something appropriate to say.

Mack&Mack

Korea & Korean
    That's a little clearer, but I'm still not certain if you're going to continue living there for a long time after you return. And it seems a little unusual for her not to want payment for a short period but want it for a long period. Still, it's her home. :)

In either case, it is quite polite to mention it again."You once said that it would be all right if I didn't pay for short times that I'm away. Is that still all right, or would you like to reconsider? I'll be gone for three weeks."

Other than that, which is just off the top of my head, anyone who is as polite as you will think of something appropriate to say.
    Thank you, Copyright. I am going to live here for six more months at least once I return before I go back to my country. Probably she either does not want to bother to find another student or is giving me a special favor. I'd like to believe that the latter is the case though. :D

The reason I was dwelling on finding a word or phrase was that there is a Korean word equivalent to this idea. Anyway, thank you again for all your posts. I did learn a lot from them. Thank you a zillion. :)

< Previous | Next >