To give a red/yellow card (football)

Alxmrphi

UK English
Hi all,

I just came across some words in another language about sending people off when they get red cards and booking them when they foul with a yellow card. Then a memory came back to me which must have been from years ago, I remember listening to an Italian lesson where there were very specific terms that are used, which are nothing like the English equivalents and I remember saying to myself "I must remember these". So when I came to learn these ones I tried to think of what the Italian was, but all I could remember was how I learned it originally (i.e. where I was and that it was from an audio lesson) but I don't remember the terms. I tried searching for "send off" / "book (football)" "yellow card" and "red card" but it didn't bring up any relevant threads.

Does someone have any idea what I'm talking about? :confused:

Thanks
Alex

• Matrap

Italiano
    Hi alxmrphi

Yellow card=cartellino giallo/ammonizione= ammonire (un giocatore)
    Red card= cartellino rosso/espulsione=espellere (un giocatore)

Is that what you were trying to remember?

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Aha!
    I think ammonire was the one for (give a) yellow card, but I'm not 100% sure about "espellere" for red card, but I might just be misremembering it and you're probably right. Are there any other ways to say "send off" or give a red card? If not then I'm sure you're right and it was espellere!

Matrap

Italiano
    Well "espellere" is the standard verb to say "send off"; a very colloquial term is "cacciare (fuori) un giocatore" but I don't really think you might have heard it from an audio lesson :D

giginho

Italiano & Piemontese
    Aha!
    I think ammonire was the one for (give a) yellow card, but I'm not 100% sure about "espellere" for red card, but I might just be misremembering it and you're probably right. Are there any other ways to say "send off" or give a red card? If not then I'm sure you're right and it was espellere!
    Maybe you heard "espulso" past part of "espellere".

This is definitly the standard way of saying.

In a colloquial way you can use: "sbattilo fuori!!" screaming it when the referee put the hand in the poket looking for the right card after a rough tackle. Is the same of: "caccialo fuori"

< Previous | Next >