to give in to

Heyday! I am trying to translate the next sentence into english :

"Él cedio/se rindió(ante el) al maltrato físico porque ya no podía sopotar más". My tries:

"He gave in to physical abuse because he couldn´t stand it anymore/ couln´t stand any more". Or maybe:

" Because he couldn´t stand more physical abuse he gave in to it".

Are both of them correct?. I am trying to use the phrasal verb "to give in to". Thanks a lot in advance!

• Both are gramatically correct, but gave into has a connotation of compliance (against one's will or by force, but compliance in spite of not wanting to do something). So you would not give in to physical abuse if you couldn't stand physical abuse. An example: He gave in to his torturer and handed over the documents because he couldn't stand any more physical abuse.

The sentence you want to translate might do better as: He gave in under physical abuse because he couldn't stand it any longer. in the sense that he finally succumbed as a result of the abuse.

That´s fine.
    I think I understand it. Then I could say something like:
    "He gave in to physical abuse because he was a masochist", couldn´t I?.
    Many thanks again.

Both are gramatically correct, but gave into has a connotation of compliance (against one's will or by force, but compliance in spite of not wanting to do something). So you would not give in to physical abuse if you couldn't stand physical abuse. An example: He gave in to his torturer and handed over the documents because he couldn't stand any more physical abuse.

The sentence you want to translate might do better as: He gave in under physical abuse because he couldn't stand it any longer. in the sense that he finally succumbed as a result of the abuse.

RockyAussie

Australia/ English
    A masochist does not really give into abuse because he enjoys it at the beginning. "give in to" implies an initial resistance which a masochist would not have. I agree with serrenna

RockyAussie

Australia/ English
    for learning,
    From your reply I am still not sure you understand the meaning of the phrase: "to give in to"
    My spanish is poor so I will try to explain carefully in English:
    Person A hits Person B for example.
    Person A is abusing Person B
    Person A gives abuse to Person B
    Person B is receiving abuse from Person A
    and Person B is subjected to Person A's abuse.
    [Person B is the only one in this context who can "give in to abuse"]
    [Person A can stop abusing or continue to abuse but Person B can resist abuse or "give in to abuse"}
    Normally/ideally we expect Person B to resist and fight Person A.
    But for some reason Person B does not resist or fight.
    Might happen because Person B is a small weak person (eg wife or small child)
    And person B is a strong person.
    So, in this case Person B(wife or small) child might "give in to/stop resisting" abuse because they cannot see anything else to do that would help them.
    I hope this is clear and helpful.

Last edited:

gengo

American English
    Serrenna's translation is very good, but here's another option.

Él cedió/se rindió (ante el) al maltrato físico porque ya no podía sopotar más

He broke under the physical abuse because he couldn't take anymore.