To give somebody a pass over something

Lily_Littlejohn

French - France
Hi everyone,

I am not 100% sure to understand the following sentence : "We would be giving the other applicants a pass over your application."

Does it mean that my application is preferred, or is it the opposite ? The word "over" makes me have a doubt, and I'm still not sure after looking for the expression in the dictionary.

Thank you for your help !

Lily

• Barque

Tamil
    Do you have more context, Lily? If you could provide us the sentences before and after that one, it would be helpful.

Lily_Littlejohn

French - France
    Sure !

The thing is, the context looks positive, but this part of the sentence is not clear to me.

The complete sentence is : "We would be glad to inform you that we would be giving the other applicants a pass over your application."
    And then the person tells me that someone will contact me to provide me with a template of a contract.

What do you think ? Should I be definitely happy or not ?

Thanks !

Lily_Littlejohn

French - France
    Before this sentence, there is just "that is good news" regarding my previous email.
    In my previous email, I said that I was definitely interested in their job offer, and that if they were still interested in my profile I was motivated to become part of their team.

I also knew that I was not the only applicant, and I said that I was of course open to another discussion if they had other questions.

And this short email looks great, but at the same time with this "would" and this "pass over", I'm not sure it is 100% good.

Thank you very much for your understanding and help !

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I think they are not saying "we will give other applicants a pass over your application." I think they are saying "We will give other applicants a pass over [because of] your application." To give someone or something a pass is to say "no" to them.

This is not worded very well, however.

Barque

Tamil
    I think it should be read as "We will give the other applicants a pass (pass them over), over (in respect of/in favour of) your application.

Cross-posted.

< Previous | Next >