to give sway to something (meaning)

< Previous | Next >

Biffo

English - England
Hello

I found myself using the verb "to give sway" in another thread and decided to check its meaning. I can't find it in any dictionaries.

Example

There are clear links to Conceptualists' traditions, yet the formal techniques they employ not only offer a personalized update on the past, but also give sway to the power of images.
http://mollyspringfield.com/artwork/2874780_Catalogue_essay_by_Alexander_Dumbadze.html

Note
There seems to be some confusion between the verbs "to give way to" and "to give sway to". In my understanding it means something like "to accept the influence of"

Question

Can anyone find or suggest a definitive meaning for the verb "to give sway"?

Thanks

• abc/editrix

English
    I realize this is an old thread--but today I confronted an example of someone writing give way to when they clearly meant give sway to.
    An extension of sway as"power and influence", esp. when applied to verbal expression, is to think of it like a swing, a give-and-take, push-pull of dialogue.
    The example: "This volume of the journal addresses current issues through the lens of political economy and gives sway to both popular and scholarly discourse."

< Previous | Next >