to go one over

< Previous | Next >
  • Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    To go (by how many? One) over (= more than) the hat-trick (hat-trick = three times). The explanation is in the sentence that follows, which you quoted. ;)
    To exceed the hat-trick by one. 3 + 1 = 4.

heypresto

English - England
    Off topic, perhaps, but to add to your ever-broadening vocabulary, you might like to know that 'one over the eight' means 'drunk'. As in 'Look at him. He looks like he's had one over the eight'.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    "Proceed" or "progress". "Go one more than" is a variation on "go one better than".(academic.ru, Longman)
    Thank you !
    Off topic, perhaps, but to add to your ever-broadening vocabulary, you might like to know that 'one over the eight' means 'drunk'. As in 'Look at him. He looks like he's had one over the eight'.
    By the way, I came across this expression while looking for the meaning of the OP quote, but what does "eight" mean here? Is it like "eight glasses" is normal, while nine glasses is "drunk"?:)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Hat trick" is an ice hockey term, meaning to score 3 goals in a game. Hockey scores are usually not that high.

The phrase "hat trick" has no meaning in the sport of ice dancing. It does not mean "to win 3 championships". The writer is just using it as a colorful expression for "winning 3 somethings", to talk about their attempt to win 4 championships.

heypresto

English - England
    A 'hat trick' is also a term in cricket, and football. And I suspect in some other games/sports.

Copied from The Phrase Finder: One over the eight:

This originated as UK military slang. The first reference to it in print is in Fraser and Gibbons' Soldier & Sailor Words, 1925:

"One over the eight, one drink too many. Slightly intoxicated, the presumption being that an average 'moderate' man can safely drink eight glasses of beer."

After a gallon of beer 'slightly intoxicated' seems a bit of an understatement. Beer was weaker in the 1920s than it is now, but even so.​

I can hardly manage seven under the eight nowadays. :D

< Previous | Next >