to go <the> whole hog vs. to go all out

High on grammar

Farsi
Hello everyone:

Is [to go all out] a good synonym for [to go <the> whole hog]?

As in:
First, I painted the door, but then I decided to go whole hog and paint the living room and the kitchen.
Can I substitute “go all out” for “go whole hog” here?

Source: Myself

Thanks

Last edited:
  • lingobingo

English - England
    They’re very similar, but “go the whole hog” often stops there (it means go all the way), whereas “go all out” is usually followed by “to [do whatever]”.

High on grammar

Farsi
    They’re very similar, but “go the whole hog” often stops there (it means go all the way), whereas “go all out” is usually followed by “to [do whatever]”.
    So, it should be: [first, I painted the door, but then I decided to go all out to do the living room and kitchen.]

Would it be wrong to write: [but then I decided to go all out and paint/do the living room and kitchen]?

How about [ …., but then I decided to go all out for the entire house]?

Thanks

lingobingo

English - England
    All I meant was that if you say “He went the whole hog”, that works as a complete statement in itself, whereas “I went all out” does not; it needs further explanation. Although they’re sometimes interchangeable, they do mean different things.

To “go all out” is used especially in terms of making a supreme effort to win a contest or achieve a difficult aim. Another possible synonym for it is “put your back into” something; that is, use all your strength and/or do everything you can to get what you want.

Chez

English English
    I perceive a difference between the two phrases:

To go the whole hog suggests to complete the task, finish what you've started. You do one part of an action, then decide you might as well finish/complete it.

To go all out suggests to make the greatest effort possible (to do something).

e.g.
    I painted the walls red, then decided to go the whole hog and paint the floor, ceiling, door and window frames red, too (forget half-measures and paint everything red).

I decided to go all out to paint the room red before suppertime (make a supreme effort to complete the task).

< Previous | Next >