to go to the bank "to" deposit money

Magg

Spain / Spanish
This time I´d like to know how to express purpuse in German.
That was my try (please don´t laugh at it :( ):

Zuerst ist er für "deposit" Geld zur Bank gefahren.

• Jana337

čeština
    to deposit money - auf ein Konto einzahlen
    Er ist in die Bank gefahren/gegangen, um Geld auf sein Konto einzuzahlen / um auf sein Konto 1000 Euro einzuzahlen.

(Off topic - könnten sich die Muttersprachler dazu äußern, ob es richtig ist, wenn ich Geld vor auf sein Konto schreibe, aber 1000 Euro erst danach?)

Zurück zu Magg:
    Purpose druckt man mit um ... zu Infinitiv, wenn die Satzgegenstände in beiden Teilen des Satzes übereinstimmen (Er geht in die Bank, er zählt das Geld ein), und mit damit + Satz in allen Fällen. Wenn es geht, wird die um + zu Konstruktion bevorzugt.

Weitere Beispiele:

Ich muss viel lernen, um gute Noten zu bekommen.
    Ich muss viel lernen, damit ich gute Noten bekomme.

Um fit zu bleiben, mache ich zweimal wöchentlich Sport.
    Damit ich fit bleibe, mache ich zweimal wöchentlich Sport.

Aber:

Ich zwinge meinen Bruder zum Sport, damit er fit bleibt.
    Ich zwinge meinen Bruder zum Sport, um gesund zu bleiben.

Jana

Jana337

čeština
    Homework for Magg (use both damit and um + zu where possible):
    He will do it to help you.
    My grandmother takes pills to fall asleep quickly.
    I will explain to you how this printer works so that you can use it, too.
    You should stay to bed in order to recover soon.
    Babies must be looked after so that they do not hurt themselves.

I hope I don't go over your current level of German. If so, create your own examples and we will correct them.

Jana

Magg

Spain / Spanish
    Jana337 said:
    Homework for Magg (use both damit and um + zu where possible):
    He will do it to help you.
    My grandmother takes pills to fall asleep quickly.
    I will explain to you how this printer works so that you can use it, too.
    You should stay to bed in order to recover soon.
    Babies must be looked after so that they do not hurt themselves.

I hope I don't go over your current level of German. If so, create your own examples and we will correct them.

Jana
    That´s so nice of you.

I´ll do it this afternoon for sure. Now, I´m finishing my composition.
    In fact, I was going to ask you or other people to correct me on this matter, since I want to practice it at home. But I didn´t in case it was too daring of me.
    And don´t be afraid of teaching me new things.
    After comparing Elroy´s improvement to mine, I´m detemined to follow a self-study textbook this summer for beginners in order to revise and improve what I´ve learnt this year and also learn new things.

M.

Jana337

čeština
    Magg, this forum is full of people with a pedagogical deviation. You are most welcome to ask us for homework:)

Jana

Jana337

čeština
    I take your point but I must insist on deviation in my case. However, I should not have spoken for other people;-)

Jana

Magg

Spain / Spanish
    Morning all,

I finally tried some sentences to show purpuse, but Jana, I did my owns so as to include them in my composition. Here they are:

Mit seinen Büchern ist er zur Apotheke gegangen, um Medikament zu kaufen/damit er Medikament kauft.

Note: he had already been to the library to borrow some books. Can I start the sentence like this?

Dannach ist er zur Metzgerei gegangen, um Hähnchen und Lamm zu kaufen/damit er Hähnchen un Lamm kkauft.

Dann ist er am Markplatz gegangen, um sein Fahrrad zu nehmen/damit er sein Fahrrad nimmt.

Note: Where can I put zurück in the first sentence above?

Jana, I haven´t seen most of the verb tenses you suggested, so I´ve only tried this:

Meine Mutter nimmt Tabletten, um schnell zu einschlagen/damit sie schnell einschläft.

Magg

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Please let me correct your homework:

Magg said:
    Morning all,

I finally tried some sentences to show purpuse, but Jana, I did my owns so as to include them in my composition. Here they are: (good job)

Mit seinen Büchern ist er zur Apotheke gegangen, um Medikamente zu kaufen/damit er Medikamente kauft.

Note: he had already been to the library to borrow some books. Can I start the sentence like this?

Then it'd go like this: Er ist bereits losgegangen zur Apotheke, um ein paar Bücher auszuleihen.

Danach ist er zur Metzgerei gegangen, um Hähnchen und Lamm zu kaufen/damit er Hähnchen und Lamm kauft.

Dann ist er zum Markplatz gegangen, um sein Fahrrad zu nehmen/damit er sein Fahrrad nimmt.

Note: Where can I put zurück in the first sentence above?

Dann ist er zurück zum Marktplatz gegangen, um ...

Jana, I haven´t seen most of the verb tenses you suggested, so I´ve only tried this: (no problem, the usage of your tenses was completely correct)

Meine Mutter nimmt Tabletten, um schnell einzuschlafen/damit sie schnell einschläft. :tick:

Magg
    I also crossed out the sentences that you CAN'T form with "damit". I advise you not to use "damit" in such sentences, stick with "um ... zu" (in Engl. to/ in order to), so you'll actually always be correct.

Magg

Spain / Spanish
    Whodunit said:
    Please let me correct your homework:

I also crossed out the sentences that you CAN'T form with "damit". I advise you not to use "damit" in such sentences, stick with "um ... zu" (in Engl. to/ in order to), so you'll actually always be correct.
    Thank you so much, W.

That means that I didn´t understand Jana´s German explanation. :confused:

Magg

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Magg said:
    Thank you so much, W.

That means that I didn´t understand Jana´s German explanation. :confused:

Magg
    Actually, you did. But Jana explained that you COULD use "damit" as well where she was wrong. "Damit" sounds weird in these sentences. But I can't explain to you why you may use "damit" in the last clause.

Jana337

čeština
    OK, I overestimated the potential of damit in sentences with past tenses. Sorry, Magg. But damit would fit well in some of the sentences that I wrote down in your homework.
    I agree - use um + zu wherever you can. It is better, also stylistically.

Jana

Jana337

čeština
    OK, I overestimated the potential of damit in sentences with past tenses. Sorry, Magg. But damit would fit well in some of the sentences that I wrote down in your homework.

Jana

Magg

Spain / Spanish
    Jana337 said:

Jana
    I will, Jana.
    Don´t worry about that.

M.

< Previous | Next >