to go to the...

Yuukan

Spanish
Hi!

Is correct to use "the" in the following sentences:?

To go
to the movie theater
to the mountain
to the sea
to the ocean

Thanks a lot!

• FabiArgentina

Argentinian Spanish
    I find them correct. In these cases you can use the definite article "the", you don't use it with "church, school" (to go to church/ school) and "home" (to go home)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I find them correct. In these cases you can use the definite article "the", you don't use it with "church, school" (to go to church/ school) and "home" (to go home)
    That is an over-simplification.
    Look for the threads that discuss prepositions with school, for example, for a detailed explanation.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    Hi Panjandrum! Would you provide us some examples in which we cannot use the article?
    Thanks!
    I would like to see Yuukan post sentences with comments that explain the question.
    It is very dangerous to generalise on the basis of sentence fragments.

I have to go to the school at 10:30 tomorrow.
    I have to go to school at 10:30 tomorrow.

Those are two perfectly correct sentences, one with the article, one without.

The examples in post #1 are correct in many contexts. Except for sea, I suspect they are true in all contexts.
    The same cannot be said for church or school - or home.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    General things, habitual things = no article
    Specific, 'singular' things = article

Well I am going to the church we saw last week to see if...... (singular incident)
    I am going to church (like I do every day) .... (regular / habitual)

Where 'go to' means 'attend', you don't use it, where it means the literal action, maybe a one-off, then you can..

[Edit] .. ahh like pan's example

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator

Well I am going to the church we saw last week to see if...... (singular incident)
    I am going to church (like I do every day) .... (regular / habitual)

Where 'go to' means 'attend', you don't use it, where it means the literal action, maybe a one-off, then you can..
    With a little bit of additional comment ...

Going to (no article) church is attending the church service.
    Going to (no article) school is attending the school as a pupil.

Going to the church is a visit to the building. Whether it is the church I routinely attend on Sundays or somewhere completely different depends on the context.
    If I say "I am going to the church" without context, MrsP knows that I am going to our normal church.

It's the same with school. If I say "I'm going to the school" without context, MrsP knows I am going to our granddaughter's school.

In both cases, if we have previously been talking about some other church/school then going to "the church/school" means going there.

I'm sorry if this appears complicated, but it probably emphasises the very strong influence of context on meaning.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I'm going to go re-read the chapter on articles in my grammar book and see if I can help out with any 'rules of thumb' (as pan knows there are no 100% definite rules here!) just a trend with many exceptions!

< Previous | Next >