"to go with the plane" instead of "to go by plane"

cordoue7

French-Belgium
Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum.

My question is : is it correct to say "to go with the plane" or "to go on the plane" instead of saying "to go by plane"?

Thanks a lot.

• Yoshiee

Japanese
    Hi
    Presumably, trying to find out how to use each preposition.

1) with: this preposition is normally used for a small items such as a knife, a spoon or type-writer ( if you still use this)= simple tools
    2) on: if there is some complicated process through, such as TV, a radio, a personal computor, etc....= a little complecated tools.

These are what I've learned.

Accordingly, with and on is not suitable for a plane. However I believe. if you change it a littel like " I will go to SF on/in a plane" , it seems to work well.

-mack-

American English
    "I'm going to New York City by plane." :tick:
    "I'm going to New York City on a plane." :tick: [I think "by" sounds better.]
    "I'm going to New York City in a plane." [Works, but sounds weird to me.]
    "I'm going to New York City with a plane." :cross:

However, in my opinion, the best way to say it is, "I'm flying to New York City." It is perfectly normal to say it this way in English. No one will think you have wings and are literally flying to New York City — it is understood that you mean flying on a plane.

With methods of transportation, generally "on" is used for everything except a car.
    "I'm driving to San Pedro in my car."
    "We were so drunk that we had to go home in a taxi."
    "I'm on the train, and a creepy homeless man is trying to sell me a colored pencil sketch of the chaos inside his brain."
    "I'm on a boat with T-Pain."
    "I don't think you can take ethylbenzene or any other flammable organic compunds on a plane."
    "Why are there so many people in their underwear on the subway today?"

savanna88

Russian - Russia
    Hello! Can you tell me if there is any difference in sens between by helicopter/ in a helicopter, by train/ in a train by bus/ on /in a bus etc. when I use them after I go to... Or these are just different ways to say the same thing?

se16teddy

English - England
    By helicopter - the helicopter is your means of transport. In a helicopter - the helicopter is all around you. By train - the train is your means of transport. On a bus - you have stepped up on to the bus; the bus is not necessarily the means of transport, for example the bus may be on a train. In a bus - the bus is all around you; the bus is not necessarily the means of transport, for example the bus may be on a train.

< Previous | Next >