to greet / greeting

block99

Korean
Hi.
My friend asked me what part of below sentence was incorrect.

The purpose of the organization is greeting all newcomers to the city and to provide them with any necessary information.

I said 'greeting' should be changed to 'to greet', But my Friend told me 'providing' is still possible.

what is correct answer? It was in our English grammar Test Book.

Thank you.

• MilkyBarKid

British English
    The sentence is speaking generally/over-all, about the purpose of the organization, and not a specific instance of 'greeting a newcomer'.
    Hence, '...is to greet...' is more appropriate.

Similarly, '...and (to) provide them...'

Others feel strongly that there is no great distinction between the use of the infinitive versus the gerund.

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    My friend asked me what part of the below sentence below was incorrect.

The purpose of the organization is greeting all newcomers to the city and to provide them with any necessary information.

I said 'greeting' should be changed to 'to greet', but my friend told me 'providing' is still possible.

What is the correct answer?
    In my opinion, you're both correct—but the form of the two verbs should match within the sentence. That is, either of the two sentences below would be idiomatic:
    The purpose of the organization is greeting all newcomers to the city and providing them with any necessary information.
    The purpose of the organization is to greet all newcomers to the city and to provide them with any necessary information.

< Previous | Next >