to have something scrapped

passengerman

chinese
Hi all,

What does the bold phrase mean here?

There is more to providing a good service than ruthless efficiency, free market economics and the drive to make profits.The vulnerable sectors of society will always suffer from privatisation. People in isolated villages will have their unprofitable public transport scrapped.

Thanks in advance,
Pros and Cons: A Debater’s Handbook

• handsomechuck

American English (NYC region)
    It's important to note that it's passive,"will have their..", so something is being done (to them) by someone else. It's implicit that their public transport will be scrapped, by in this case, the profit motive and the forces of markets.

passengerman

chinese
    Because of the structure is "causative", it seems to me unlogical.:confused: I think It might be,

People's unprofitable public transport will be scrapped.

pops91710

English, AE
    Because of the structure is "causative", it seems to me unlogical.:confused: I think It might be,

People's The unprofitable public transport will be scrapped.
    It isn't the people's public transportation. It's a privately owned and the owner will scrap the unprofitable transportation system. Thus, the people will lose their public transportation.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    It's this meaning of "have something done" (have their unprofitable public transport scrapped)
    using have something done for bad things
    In all the examples above we have looked at services we can pay for if we want. We can also use the same expression when someone does something bad to us. For example:

'Jenny had her car stolen.' Here Jenny did not want someone to steal her car, but someone did it.
    'Have you ever had your nose broken in a fight?' Nobody wants to have their nose broken, but it could happen!
    Have something done | Learn English

< Previous | Next >