to have the chops

studenteuniv

Polish
Hello:)

I studied some English at school, but since I've started to learn Italian and to live here I missed the chance to practise, so, don't hesitate to correct me please, I'll be grateful to you!

That is the first time I've posted here, so a big hello to you all.

Can anyone explain me what "to have a chops mean" - I guess, It's related to one's skill in doing something particular or violition maybe...

• Alxmrphi

UK English
    Yeah, it means to have good skill at playing an instrument, I've only heard it for guitarists and basists, not classical instruments but I guess it can be for other things, maybe just cos I am a guitarist I only ever hear it being referred to guitarists.

[Edit] It's "to have chops", we don't say "the" in the sentence.

Wade Aznable

Italian
    Avere i numeri per

Since the informal / idiomatic "flavour" of "having chops", this one is my favourite so far.

My 2 cents!

W

EDIT: in the Urban Dictionary link posted by Underhouse, it seems that "to have chops" is somewhat limited to music skills. Italian isn't so specific, and "avere i numeri per" means to be skilled in general, and can be used for everything one's good at.

tony wu

Chinese
    the meaning of the slang"to have the chops" can be found in the following webpage:
    have the chops
    the followings are the contents:

If you want to be great at something, you’ve got to have the chops. No, we’re not talking about the length of your sideburns. If you want to achieve fame and glory by being amazing at something, you have to have great skill—or chops.