to hook up with you

• river

U.S. English
    Hook up. Slang a. To meet or associate.
    b. To become romantically or sexually involved with someone.
    c. To marry or get married.

Míde

Ireland English
    This is an American expression that confused me once in New York in 1993. I assumed it meant more than just to meet up and go out on a date and was highly insulted. Talk about "lost in translation!". Your definition is correct as far as I know.

mnzrob

Chicago English and German
    It depends....
    To hook up with someone can mean either to meet up with them, or to have sexual relations with them, depending on context.
    I might hook up with a group of friends later, meaning that I would meet up with them. I would only say this, though, if I were hanging out with them, but had to go take care of something else real quick, and then I would hook up with them again later.
    If I hook up with a girl, I'm doing a lot more than just going out with her or meeting up with her. But I would never tell a girl to her face, that I would like to "hook up with" her. I think there're better ways to put it.

Rob

river

U.S. English
    That sounds like "have sex" to me. But it could mean "a date." I would ask for a clarification.

mnzrob

Chicago English and German
    Míde said:
    Well this guy in a bar said to me "Do you not want to hook up?". Hmmm, I'm confused now!
    Well, I guess just because i wouldn't say it, doesn't mean that nobody would say that to a girl. I don't know...depending on the girl, I think you would have to expect to get slapped after saying that to her. But if this line works, please let me know.:thumbsup:

Rob

Míde

Ireland English
    It looks like I interpreted it correctly at the time then:eek: . I'm glad to say it didn't work. I didn't know this person and he didn't know me. So I wouldn't try it Rob:thumbsdown:

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    river said:
    Hook up. Slang a. To meet or associate.
    b. To become romantically or sexually involved with someone.
    c. To marry or get married.
    I think that the word "hooker" derived from b.

judkinsc

English, USA
    I was told that the word "hooker" derived from a General Hooker, of the US Army. The story goes that he kept his troops happy with prostitutes, who eventually became known as "Hooker's".

"I'll hook you up" does mean "I'll provide you with "something"."

"Hooked up" in the past, typically refers to sex.

This is a fairly new expression, as far as I know.

< Previous | Next >