To host vs. to welcome

HnB'ed

Can one use "host" and "welcome" interchangeably in the sense "have as a guest" as in "We look forward to hosting you at the B. Hotel" instead of "...to welcoming you to..or...having you as a guest at...," or "welcome" and 'have as a guest" definitely are the best fits for the context?

• elchinitovaliente

Standard Edited American English
    No. The term "host" in that context only refers to the act of having a guest stay at your residence or in your hotel. "To welcome somebody" refers to the act of receiving a guest and respectfully greeting them.

I would say something along the lines of:
    We welcome you as a guest to our hotel....

or

We look forward to having you as a guest at...

"We look forward to hosting you..." sounds kind of cheesy and off, in my humble opinion.

HnB'ed

What if I use "We look forward to meeting and greeting you at..?' Still sounds cheesy and off, awkward, or an original way of closing up an email/letter?

Biffo

English - England
    No. The term "host" in that context only refers to the act of having a guest stay at your residence or in your hotel. "To welcome somebody" refers to the act of receiving a guest and respectfully greeting them.
    I would say something along the lines of:
    We welcome you as a guest to our hotel....
    or
    We look forward to having you as a guest at...
    "We look forward to hosting you..." sounds kind of cheesy and off, in my humble opinion.
    I agree pretty much with this but with a very slight difference.

"to host" is a neutral term. It would be possible to host some people without welcoming them. However there are two distinct meanings of to welcome someone:

(a) to greet someone by saying "Welcome!"
    (b) to be happy to have someone stay and to treat them in a hospitable and friendly manner

Given that (a) could be said insincerely I think most guests would prefer (b) regardless of whether the word "Welcome" was actually spoken.

< Previous | Next >