to improve up to a specific level

Brigitte_anna

Russian
Hi,

would it sound natrual to say:

His speaking skills has improved up to the intermediate english level.

Maybe there's another verb more suitable here?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It should be "His speaking skills have improved up to the intermediate English level."

This means, "In the earlier levels, his speaking skills improved." However, it comes with the implication that his speaking skills did not improve in the intermediate level.

I am not sure that this is what you mean.

Logos_

English - America
    I might simply say "His English speaking skills improved to intermediate" or "to intermediate level" or "to the intermediate level," depending on how you wanted to end the sentence.

"Improve up" strikes me as redundant since we normally think of improvement as an upward movement.

Brigitte_anna

Russian
    I might simply say "His English speaking skills improved to intermediate" or "to intermediate level" or "to the intermediate level," depending on how you wanted to end the sentence.

"Improve up" strikes me as redundant since we normally think of improvement as an upward movement.
    Thank you very much!

Brigitte_anna

Russian
    It should be "His speaking skills have improved up to the intermediate English level."

This means, "In the earlier levels, his speaking skills improved." However, it comes with the implication that his speaking skills did not improve in the intermediate level.

I am not sure that this is what you mean.
    Thank you very much!

I want to say that they now express themselves more easily and accurately than some time ago.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I agree with post #6. In AE, it is most common to say something has "reached" a level.

The phrase "improved up to" a level is awkward. In this sentence it means "improved until it reached that level", or "improved so that now it is at that level".

In general "up to a level" means "never above that level: that level is the upper limit". Of course that makes no sense about languages.

< Previous | Next >