To inform attached docs in a mail to receiver

< Previous | Next >

danielenglish

Banned
"India - Hindi & English"
Hi teachers,

I have been confused for a long time as to which one use at the time of drafting a mail with some attachments.

Kindly let me know which one from the below I should use while drafting a mail .

Please find the attached document/s

or

Please find an attached document

or

Please find attached document/s

I would appreciate all your help.

Thanks in advance
Daniel
(I like english)

• shin chan 14

United Kingdom, Liverpool - English
    I think the first one is the best. Sorry but I can't explain, it just feels right to say. The third is grammatically incorrect i think because it is missing the determiner 'the' before attached.

Sorry, i know i haven't explained that properly, but i still tried :)

PITU44

Catalan + Spanish
    Hi,
    In my opinion and according to my experience, "please find attached" is an expression. I am using it every day and I receive hundreds of e-mails with it:
    "Please find attached the following document/s with regard to .....:" and then a list of the document/s and its/their details or explanation.

I don't know if it is 100% correct from the grammatical point of view but it is very commonly used.

I hope I have helped.

Cheers

Æsop

Banned
    English--American (upstate NY)
    Shin Chan is correct, the third choice requires a definite article. "Please find" is a business-jargon cliche. If the documents are not literally "attached" by staples or paper clip (or even if they are), you may substitute "enclosed" (in the same envelope) for "attached."

The whole "Please find attached" formula, while not grammatically incorrect, is an example of stilted business language that tries to sound important through the use of indirect and passive constructions. Instead of "Please find the enclosed copy of ...," I prefer to write, "I am enclosing a copy of ..." If I actually stapled the copy to the letter, I would write, "I have attached a copy of ..." Or, I would write "I have enclosed/attached the following documents:" with a list.

sdgraham

USA English
    Because I hate clichés, I would say "Please see (or refer to) the included/attached/enclosed documents. ("Find" sounds to me like a pig looking for truffles)

You didn't say which type of mail you are asking about, which is significant since electronic mail is driving down the use of paper mail/post.

danielenglish

Banned
    "India - Hindi & English"
    Hi teachers,

All your contribution is very useful ..Thanks a lot.

Thanks in advance
    Daniel
    (I like english)

Basil Ganglia

English - USA
    Shin Chan is correct, the third choice requires a definite article. "Please find" is a business-jargon cliche. If the documents are not literally "attached" by staples or paper clip (or even if they are), you may substitute "enclosed" (in the same envelope) for "attached."…
    I don't believe the definite article is always required. I have often seen the following syntax:
    "Please find attached documents that ..." For example, "Please find attached documents that describe the events more fully".

As with other posters, I do not like the "please find [the] attached documents" format and do not use it myself.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi teachers,

All your contributions is are very useful ..Thanks a lot.

Thanks in advance
    Daniel
    (I like english)
    I have used "Please find attached" or "Attached, please find" for years for the simple reason that I was employed by lawyers who are some of the folks that Aesop refers to as "trying to sound important". Not all do, but they are, by and large, a stuffy lot.:D

Daniel, that kind of prose is becoming redundant in the business world (thank goodness) but it all depends on the people to whom you're writing. If they tend to write this way in their business dealings, it's probably a good idea to coordinate your language with theirs. Conversely, if you're corresponding with twenty-somethings in a business that builds skateboards, you wouldn't want to use this language.:)

Loob

English UK
    Like Dimcl, I have used "please find attached" in a work context. I've also used "please see attached" (often abbreviated to PSA - I worked in an environment big on abbreviations:eek:)

In 'real life', I use "I enclose".

Dimcl's advice to 'consider your audience' is wise:)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I come from a world where the "please find attached" formula was commonplace.

I don't use it. Here are extracts from my recent e-mails.

"I have attached my comments on ... "

"My comments on ... are attached."

"I've now read through the ... and commented.
    File attached with tracked changes."

My favourite has as the e-mail title "Comments attached."

< Previous | Next >