... to invite to their wedding <affair, banquet, feast>.

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
The couple drew up a list of guests they planned to invite to their wedding banquet.

[...]
Furthermore, my dictionary states that "banquet" is synonymous with "feast" and "affair." Is it worth trusting? Thanks.

• Prometo

USA English
    [...]

Yes a banquet can be a "feast" or an "affair" if it's large enough.. (although "large" is a matter of personal judgment or comparison)

All these words can be used metaphorically, even when talking about a couple's dinner date to suggest grandiosity

My sense is a banquet can be a smaller affair, not quite a feast, and is used often in serious business circles

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    A banquet is almost certainly a more formal affair than a feast :)
    You could have a feast eating with your fingers, sitting on the floor. Not so a banquet.
    Both banquet and feast involve food, an affair might, but not necessarily. Affair is a bit like event.

You could invite people to a wedding feast or a wedding banquet without provoking any strange reaction. Not so a wedding affair :)

I forgot to mention first that my understanding of these terms is quite at odds with Prometo's - and I think we are both right in our respective contexts.

< Previous | Next >