to keep them up on fish

SophieD

FRANCE - FRENCH
This comes from a documentary film about a man, Charlie, raising orphan bears in Russia.
"Charlie's bear family has just doubled its size."
Charlie : "It's going to be quite a job fedding - keeping them all up on fish.
Could you please explain to me what it means ?

• panjandrum

English-Ireland (top end)
    This comes from a documentary film about a man, Charlie, raising orphan bears in Russia.
    "Charlie's bear family has just doubled its size."
    Charlie : "It's going to be quite a job fedding - keeping them all up on fish.
    Could you please explain to me what it means ?
    I guess that fedding should be feeding.
    "keeping them all up on fish" probably means - catching enough fish to keep the orphan bears well fed.

Thomas Tompion

Member Emeritus
    English - England
    quite a job feeding = quite like a job of feeding or quite like a feeding job?

Neither Catherine. To be quite a job means to be quite difficult, so it will be quite a job running up that hill means it will be difficult (a big job) to run up that hill. It will be quite a job feeding those bears means it will be difficult to feed those bears.

Keeping them all up on fish - quite a difficult expression too. It means keeping them up (to date?) on fish - i.e. keeping the fish coming in regularly enough to satify the appetite of the bears.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    The expression that the writer probably should have employed, assuming that he wanted to sound funny or to use a light and entertaining tone, is "It's going to be quite a job keeping them all in fish." (AE)