to learn how to use an application alone by clicking...

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

garotopunkrock

Portuguese (Brasil)
Hello everyone,

Can you give me some words or expressions which are synonym to "to learn how to use an application alone by clicking here and there". "To snoop", apparently, seems to be related to spying. But I don't want to say that I spy, but that I "learn how to use an application alone by clicking here and there" usually without a manual (and obviously without a teacher). This is normally possible with friendly-user applications.

To make my question clearer, I imagined the following dialogue:

John: Wow! You does know how to use [Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc. ]. I'd take years to learn what you know. Where did you learn how to use it?
Peter: I learned the basics at school. The advanced stuff I learned alone, "snooping", you know, by clicking here and there...

I hope you can help me with that.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Andy's suggestion is good.
    You might also say "by trial and error."
    See the definition linked to above and the previous threads:
    by/through trial and error
    trial and error

We don't provide lists of synonyms, but you can use
    our thesaurus to find
    and
    (The thesaurus includes hyphenated form of 'trial-and-error,' as a synonym for 'experiment' but does not list synonyms for this hyphenated form.)

At the top of the definition page, you will find a link to 'English synonyms', which leads to the thesaurus entry for that word.

Clicking on any of the listed synonyms will lead, in turn, to the thesaurus entry for that word -- if it exists.

If you have a question about the suitability of a specific word, you are welcome to start a new thread to ask it.

I am closing this thread.

If neither of the two words suggested so far is acceptable for some reason, please use the dark red triangle in the lower left corner of this post to ask that the thread be reopened so that you can explain further what sort of word you are looking for.

Cagey, moderator.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >