to like better / to like best

welder

Spain - Spanish
Hello,
could you tell me which one is right, please?

I like this one best
or
I like this one better

I´ve heard the first one in a film today, but I have also heard the second one in many other occasions. I never know which one I must use.

Thank you in advance.

• dexterciyo

Español - Canarias
    Hello,

I like this one best :tick:
    este es el que más me gusta
    or
    I like this one better :tick:
    este me gusta más

I´ve heard the first one in a film today, but I have also heard the second one in many other occasions. I never know which one I must use.

Thank you in advance.

:) I think.

welder

Spain - Spanish
    Thank you, dexterciyo. It looks very sensible, I should have realised it.
    Regards.

zumac

USA: English & Spanish
    Hello,

I like this one best
    or
    I like this one better

Thank you in advance.
    When you refer to a group of two or more things, saying that one of them is the "best" means you prefer the selected one over all those in the group.

When you refer to a group of two or more things, saying that one of them is "better" means that you prefer this one over a previously selected one in the group. So, "better" is a preference over some other one, and does not necesssarily imply that it is the "best", unless of course there were only two things in the group.

Saludos.

welder

Spain - Spanish
    Thank you, Zumac. In the example I have given, I was thinking in a situation with just two things. The first sentence is said by a girl who is shown two pairs of stockings.
    Therefore I understand that in this case both sentences are right, aren´t they?
    Thanks again.

zumac

USA: English & Spanish
    Thank you, Zumac. In the example I have given, I was thinking in a situation with just two things. The first sentence is said by a girl who is shown two pairs of stockings.
    Therefore I understand that in this case both sentences are right, aren´t they?
    Thanks again.
    Your welcome, Welder.

The situation with just two things makes a big difference. As you said, then either sentence is correct, although "best" would be more precise.

Saludos.

neal41

USA, English
    The situation with just two things makes a big difference. As you said, then either sentence is correct, although "best" would be more precise.

As a practical matter both sentences mean the same thing and are equally acceptable in the case of two objects. I disagree that 'best' is more precise. A purist would probably say that in the case of two objects you should use 'better' and not 'best'.