to like

shanti momo

dutch-netherlands
Hi there,

can someone give me some more formal synomyms of 'to like', as in:

I like the emphasis the study program has on....

<Second question deleted.>

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • saladfingers

UK
    English - England
    • <Answer to deleted question removed.>

As for like, I can't really think of anything that would have exactly the same meaning in this context. Maybe "enjoy", but it really depends on what your sentence goes on to say.

Last edited by a moderator:

shanti momo

dutch-netherlands
    Although it sounds good, it doesn't exactly express what I would like it to. The level of formality is good, but it is not strong enough.
    Thanks anyway!

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Welcome to the forums, shanti momo. :)

If you were to give us the context and explain what you are trying to say we might be able to help. As it is, your question is so general that we can't give you any more help than you could get from consulting a thesaurus.

You might want to read the Quick Guide to posting in English Only. ;)

Nun-Translator

shanti momo

dutch-netherlands
    You're right nun-translator, and thanks for your good help! So here's some more context:
    in my application letter for a masters program I want to clarify why I choose this program at this university. One of the reasons is the emphasis they have on the dissertation as an original fieldwork-based research. So:

I greatly appreciate/like/??? the emphasis on an original fieldwork-based research, because I believe it is in the practice of ethnography that the vitality of Anthropology resides.

Thanks again, s-h