To live in Venice

< Previous | Next >

hothead2692

British England
"The movie give me the idea of how it must feel to live in Venice."

Does this infinitive phrase act as a direct object to "must feel" verb phrase? I remember that an infinitive phrase can act as a direct object.

• compaqdrew

English - AE
    I understand the phrase "to live in Venice" as a prepositional phrase. Prepositional phrases generally act as adjectives (or adverbs).

The verb feel can be used with an object, but it can also be used with an adjective. For example, "I feel sad."

The modal verb must is not very important to the meaning here. Essentially it strengthens the connection between living in Venice and the feeling that living in Venice causes. OED says:

> expressing an opinion about something that is logically very likely: there must be something wrong | you must be tired.

Loob

English UK
    "The movie give me the idea of how it must feel to live in Venice."

Does this infinitive phrase act as a direct object to "must feel" verb phrase? I remember that an infinitive phrase can act as a direct object.
    Hello, hothead. I'd say it's the extraposed subject of "must feel", with "it" acting as dummy subject. You could put "to live in Venice" in subject position, and the sentence would have the same meaning, though it would sound more awkward: The movie gave me the idea of how to live in Venice must feel.

(If we were going to use this word order, we'd probably choose "living" rather than "to live".)

Last edited:

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    I agree with Loob on the status of "it" as a preparatory/cataphoric pronoun.
    As for the grammatical labelling, I'd say that the "prepositional phrase" is "in Venice" (preposition + noun phrase).
    From the syntactic standpoint I'd say "to live/living in Venice" is the subject of the verb "feel".
    Finally, I suspect "The movie give me the idea of how it must feel to live in Venice" should contain either "gives" or "gave".

GS :)

< Previous | Next >