to make a big deal out of something

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Gringo1000, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Gringo1000

Gringo1000 Senior Member

Florida
    United States/English
    Or it could also be said to blow out of proportion. Is there is a spanish phrase for this as well? Thank You.

2. Eugin

Eugin Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina (Spanish)
    Yes, Gringo, there is an equivalent phrase in Spanish: "Ahogarse en un vaso de agua".
    I remember that we discussed this topic a short time ago, so, wait for fenixpollo that, hopefully, he´ll provide you with the link of that thread where this same phrase appeared!! (He is an expert in thread-leading...);)

Cheers!!

3. Analía Q. Member

Argentina
    Hi Gringo!

Here is what the Oxford Superlex says about "to make a big deal about sthg.":

I don’t want to make a big deal out of it, but I had to pay … no quiero hacer un problema por esto, pero tuve que pagar …

she made such a big deal out of choosing a hat hizo tanto aspaviento para elegir un sombrero

Much more informally speaking, here in Argentina we also say "hacer lío por algo" "hacer una montaña de todas las cosas" (make a mountain out of a molehill), "hacer un tango de todas las cosas" (only in Argentina, where I come from).

But if I were you, I'd stick to "hacer un problema por algo".

Saluditos,

Analía :)