To make a telephone call that would assuage her guilt

shanty

Italian, Milan
Aiuto!!! Che confusione con il condizionale inglese. Qualcuno mi sa spiegare perchè non si usa praticamente mai il cond pass (would+have+past part)????
  • She had hoped that this meeting would change their position...
  • To make a telephone call that would assuage her guilt...
Thanks a lot for your help.

• Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    I'm not sure what it is that you want exactly. Your sentences make perfect sense given the proper context. If you want an explanation of why it is the way it is, I'm afraid I can only point you to a linguistics textbook. I often use the "would+have+had/eaten/gotten/fought/etc." structure.

Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    You generally use the third conditional with the part "would+have+ PP"
    when you are talking about things you can no longer change- usually when you refer to regrets/rimpianti.

Hope it helps

Sib

lsp

NY
    US, English
    Ma perchè non si può dire
    She had hoped that this meeting would have changed their position...

In fact this is technically the more correct version (because of the initial "had hoped"). We tend to simplify the second clause, which is confusing to Italians. :)

Sandrokkio

Italian
    Ma perchè non si può dire
    She had hoped that this meeting would have changed their position...

Perché non si usa in inglese.
    L'espressione corretta è quella con il semplice "would", definita "future in the past", ma che in realtà fa parte delle regole che governano il discorso indiretto. Ti spiego:

(direct speech): "I hope this meeting will change their position!"
    (reported speech): "She hoped this/that meeting would change their position".

Nel riportare un verbo dal discorso diretto a quello indiretto, il primo verbo non in grassetto si riporta al past tense (e se era al present perfect al past perfect ecc.), mentre il verbo in grassetto subisce le seguenti trasformazioni:

will --> would
    can --> could
    must --> had to
    qualunque altro verbo --> va alla forma passata corrispondente

(direct speech) "I can't come to your party!"
    (reported speech) "He said he couldn't come to my party"

(direct speech) "I want to help her!"
    (reported speech) "She said, she wanted to help her".

(direct speech) "I don't know if I will come!!"
    (indirect speech) "He didn't know if he would come".

Come nell'ultimo esempio, si usa il solo "would", a differenza dell'italiano ("sarebbe venuto").

You generally use the third conditional with the part "would+have+ PP"
    when you are talking about things you can no longer change- usually when you refer to regrets/rimpianti.

Siberia ti dice giustamente in quale caso va invece usato il condizionale passato inglese! Spero di essere stato chiaro. :)

Last edited: