to make extinct

fdk47

Tagalog
Is there a word that means "make extinct", just like "Kill" means to make someone or something "being killed"?

1. This specie was made extinct by humans.

2. My desire for drugs was made extinct at the rehab.

I wrote them so they may sound strange, but I want to know if there is a verb for "make extinct" in these two different usages for it.
If you could help me create better sentences, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you.

• "Extinguished" might work, esp. in your second example. Indeed, 'made extinct' is weird usage.

Other possibilities are 'abolished' 'eradicated' 'wiped out'; the latter is applied to animal populations.

www.niagarathisweek.com/.../4387461-learning-a-lesson-from-the-great...
    Learning a lesson from the Great Auk extinction
    Feb 27, 2014 - That's about 50 years or so before our last Passenger Pigeons were wiped out by man. All life is precious. Think about it.

Last edited:

Biffo

English - England
    Is there a word that means "make extinct"...
    I think it depends to some extent on whether the extinction was deliberate. Suppose that Malaria-carrying mosquitoes went exticnt because humans found a way to kill them all off and did it deliberately. Then the word would be "exterminated".

This species was exterminated by humans.

Can you tell us whether the extinction was deliberate. What is the precise context?

fdk47

Tagalog
    Can you tell us whether the extinction was deliberate. What is the precise context?
    Hi Biffo. Thank you for your comment. I just wondered about the verb version of this word, and created sentences to ask questions, so I wasn't really thinking about the details. I apologize for the lack of more context.

I was thinking about a situation where the extinction was not entirely deliberate, such as a species extinguished because of humans killed all of them for fur.

Thank you Andygc. I checked the dictionary to know more about it after reading Biffo's comment, so I kind of knew what Biffo meant to say, but thank you for pointing that out.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >