to make sentence look stylish...

amby

Banned
chinese
I am trying to come up with the right word for the following part and I wonder if ' stylish' look ok. I am trying to say to make the sentences look intelligent or refined or polished.

My tutor told me to use the same pattern to make my sentence look stylish when I list more than one word using and or but.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I don't understand what you're asking about. What are the sentences that you are trying to make refined (or polished or stylish)? What "same pattern" are you asking about? You haven't given us a sentence, or an example, of "listing moree than one word using and or but".

amby

Banned
    chinese
    I mean he told me that to balance a sentence, I have to use the same patter or words, such as I like cooking, swmimming and listening to music. He said by using the same pattern of word, I can make my sentence look stylish. And I wonder if ' stylish' sound right.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I would say that parallelism - the technique your tutor is (rightly!) proposing - is definitely one of the fundamental tenets of good writing style. I don't, however, know if I would say that the correct adjective for "possessing good style in writing" is "stylish." I would say "... to phrase my sentence correctly..." (but then again I'm a stickler for good style).

Tracer

American English
    I am trying to come up with the right word for the following part and I wonder if ' stylish' look ok. I am trying to say to make the sentences look intelligent or refined or polished.
    I agree with the comments so far: "stylish" is not the correct term here. Actually, you yourself have already provided what I consider an appropriate term for this context, to wit: POLISHED

A sentence can be a "polished" one but not really a "stylish" one.

< Previous | Next >