To make someone into a patriot

< Previous | Next >

Talia1987

English
Is there a verb for this?
The text is about using national anthems in subliminal messaging in order to turn children into patriots.
My friend suggested "patronise", but I looked up less commonly known meanings of that word and, in fact, it means to be a regular patron or customer of something.

Thanks in advance.

• mplsray

Is there a verb for this?
    The text is about using national anthems in subliminal messaging in order to turn children into patriots.
    My friend suggested "patronise", but I looked up less commonly known meanings of that word and, in fact, it means to be a regular patron or customer of something.

Thanks in advance.
    To start with, there is no evidence whatsoever that subliminal techniques are effective except for a very short period of time, and so could not work for the purpose in question.

I think that to turn children into patriots is still the best phrase for the meaning in question. Both brainwash and indoctrinate are inadequate by themselves. You would have to say "to brainwash children into being patriots" and "to indoctrinate children into being patriots." Keep in mind also that neither brainwash nor indoctrinate is a neutral term, unlike "to turn children into patriots," so the terms you choose must take into account the perspective of the people whose ideas are being represented.

< Previous | Next >