to make something scream

rafajuntoalmar

Castellano (tanto argentino como peninsu
Hello,

In a political essay I am translating I find this phrase "by applying new measures such as making Chilean economy scream". Not a nice phrase, I know, but I need to translate it and I am not sure how to do this.

My try:

LITERAL: "con la aplicación de nuevas medidas, tales como hacer aullar la economía chilena".

INTERPRETED: "con la aplicación de nuevas medidas, tales como perjudicar la economía chilena".

Best,

• rafajuntoalmar

El modo más claro:
    tales como un extremo grado de presión sobre la economía chilena.

Saludos.
    Thank you Frida. So the idea is putting pressure to something. However, I would like to know what do you imagine when you read "to make scream". Is this a regular figure of speech?

Best,

Lis48

English - British
    The phrase is to make someone scream not to make scream.
    Used metaphorically as in this case, it means to hurt them, to hurt the Chilean economy, to make the Chilean economy feel the pressure.

bondia

English-England
    Used metaphorically as in this case, it means to hurt them, to hurt the Chilean economy, to make the Chilean economy feel the pressure.
    Also, maybe: hacer que se resienta la economía chilena

rafajuntoalmar

Thank you Lis. Your post is very helpful. However, would you say that an economy (a system, as far as I know) is a "someone" instead of a "something"?

Lis48

English - British
    I think the Chilean economy is beiing personalised as if it is capable of feeling pain.
    The idiomatic phrase is make someone or something scream.
    You could say for example, "The price of that meal made my wallet scream!" i.e as Bondia suggested, my wallet felt the pain, even though that makes no sense literally!

rafajuntoalmar

I think the Chilean economy is beiing personalised as if it is capable of feeling pain.
    The idiomatic phrase is make someone or something scream.
    You could say for example, "The price of that meal made my wallet scream!" i.e as Bondia suggested, my wallet felt the pain, even though that makes no sense literally!
    Of course, thank you again!

< Previous | Next >