to make sure

< Previous | Next >

Jack.D

American English, Arabic
Hello everyone,

I tried to look up the word "to make sure" in the dictionary, but I found a lot of words in German which have the same meaning for "to make sure". I think each one of these words is used in a different context than the other one. Below are some sentences as examples of the context in which the verb I am looking for is going to be used:

- I am calling just to make sure that everything is going ok with you.

- Can you make sure that the door is locked?

- Make sure that it is typed correctly!

Thanks in Advance!

• Kajjo

I am calling just to make sure that everything is going ok with you.
    ...um sicherzugehen, dass bei dir alles in Ordnung ist

Can you make sure that the door is locked?
    Kannst du sicherstellen, dass die Tür abgeschlossen wird? (Auftrag für später)
    Bist du sicher, dass die Tür abgeschlossen ist? (Frage nach dem Zustand)

Make sure that it is typed correctly!
    Stelle bitte sicher, dass...
    Sorge bitte dafür, dass...

Demiurg

German
    - Ich rufe an, um mich zu vergewissern, dass alles bei dir in Ordnung ist.
    - Kannt du dafür sorgen, dass die Tür abgeschlossen ist?
    - Achte darauf, dass es korrekt getippt ist.

Edit: crossed with Kajjo

Jack.D

American English, Arabic
    I am really thankful to both of you Kajjo and Demiurg, but I am bit confused right now and have some questions:

Can we say that "sichergehen" and "sich vergewissern" have the same meaning and are exchangeable , but "sichergehen" is more of a colloquial word?
    "sicherstellen" I think is stronger than just making sure, it is more like to guarantee or to warrant something ?
    "sorgen für" = "care for/take care of"?

Am I right? Waiting for your comments.

Kajjo

No, "sicherstellen" und "sich vergewissern" are not always interchangeable. It depends on the context. "Sich vergewissern" is reflexive und that fits well with more implications of knowledge, with a notion of to ascertain / to check / to verify / to see for yourself. Usually "sich vergewissern" is just checking that something already has been done or verifying it is as it is told. "Sicherstellen" has a focus on action, to see to it that something happens, to ensure actions be really done.

Further, "sicherstellen" can have other meanings as well like to seize ("Beweismittel wurden sichergestellt").

Sorgen für = care for -- your understanding fits well.

Jack.D

American English, Arabic
    No, "sicherstellen" und "sich vergewissern" are not always interchangeable. It depends on the context. "Sich vergewissern" is reflexive und that fits well with more implications of knowledge, with a notion of to ascertain / to check / to verify / to see for yourself. Usually "sich vergewissern" is just checking that something already has been done or verifying it is as it is told. "Sicherstellen" has a focus on action, to see to it that something happens, to ensure actions be really done.

Further, "sicherstellen" can have other meanings as well like to seize ("Beweismittel wurden sichergestellt").

Sorgen für = care for -- your understanding fits well.
    In my post I wrote "sichergehen" not "sicherstellen", and I meant to say that "sichergehen" is used more in everyday speaking than "Sich vergewissern"

Based on what you mentioned about "sicherstellen", isn't it a continuous action I mean not just a mere action of just making sure? example:
    Wie kann ich sicherstellen, dass mein Baby gesund ist?

Kajjo

Sorry. "Sichergehen" ist not interchangeable with "sich vergewissern". In some contexts it might be a bit more colloquial, in other contexts it might be the perfect word.

"Sicherstellen" can be a certain action and it not continuous. You can create context where it implies a continuous effort, but the word itself does not imply continuity.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >