to make wine bubble over the tops of glasses

Grabarnagus

French - Belgium
How would you translate:

It (a goblin) makes wine bubble over the tops of glasses.

Contexte: c'est l'histoire d'un gobelin qui fait des farces dans une maison.

Merci pour votre aide.

• FRENFR

English
    To bubble over is a more specific idea of the verb 'to go over the top', in French, Deborder. In this sentenc, the wine goes over the top, but when it has bubbles (like champagne). Maybe this is beacause of heat? Or because it is indeed a 'fizzy' (carbonated) wine of some kind. Your context/story will advise.

Glasses, of course, refers to wine glasses, and not those for the eyes.

Perhaps now you could give a nice translation into French, employing 'bulles' in some way?

Last edited:

FRENFR

English
    Ok, but I think it would be nice to keep the 'bubble' idea in French. The problem is, English is very flexible with verbs, and French is not. Deborder is 'to overflow'/to go over the top. To bubble over is the same thing, but more violent, with bubbles, so, to be strict, it's not a faithful translation.

Can you not add 'en bulle(s)' somewhere?

Grabarnagus

French - Belgium
    I know what you mean but I can't find another verb than Déborder that could be used with "glasses". I cannot use verbs like inonder or bouillir.

Grabarnagus

French - Belgium
    Oh! There is the verb "sproutcher" but I thinks it's a word only used in Belgium ...

So, thanks for your help ! I keep trying to find a good translation.

FRENFR

English
    My goodness, I have worked 'a little' in Belgium (see profile) and I have never heard this verb. Could you give an example on how to use it? Perhaps I should begin a new thread.

Apart from that, your original translation with deborder is fine. But trying to seperate the idea of 'overflowing' and 'bubbling over' is one of, I imagine, lengthy discussion!

< Previous | Next >