to manage/be able to wait , to manage/be able to hold on

MedaBeda

Czech
Hello,

Imagine that you buy your friend some new beautiful trousers (2 weeks before Christmas). You choose the trousers with her, but you plan to give the trousers to her on the Christmas Day. I know that my friend would looooooove to have the trousers immediately, but we both know that the trousers will be her Christmas present. Could I tell my friend (kind of jokingly to "provoke her" and to see on her reaction how much she would love to have the trousers immediately), after buying the trousers and putting it in my backpack:

You will get the trousers in 2 weeks - will you manage to wait?
You will get the trousers in 2 weeks - will you be able to wait?
You will get the trousers in 2 weeks - will you manage to hold on?
You will get the trousers in 2 weeks - will you be able to hold on?
You will get the trousers in 2 weeks - will you stand it?
You will get the trousers in 2 weeks - will you last it out?
You will get the trousers in 2 weeks - will you cope?

Are these sentences idiomatic or you would say it differently,

Thank you.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    I would say 'can you wait' or 'can you wait till then'

This is how I feel about them:
    will you manage to wait - manage and wait do not go well together, for some reason
    will you be able to wait - possible, but somehow wordy and unnecessarily so
    will you manage to hold on - :oops: no, awkward
    will you be able to hold on - :oops: awkward, too, and seems to suggest some tragedy can be expected - would rather die if I don't get them pants :D
    will you stand it - stand what? the indignity of streaking naked without them trousers? :)
    will you last it out - but this is not a hurricane or 10,000 years of ice age... :) as if the person might pine away and die :)
    will you cope - yes, I most likely will - squalor or not, I can still afford another pair of trousers :)

I hope you don't mind my sense of humour...

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >