to marry so young

maxscy

Cantonese
"John Shakespeare was pleased that his oldest son was married, but I don't think Will's mother wanted him to marry so young."

What does "so young" means here?

is it describe the woman he married OR his mother don't want him to marry at this age?

• maxscy

Cantonese
    Thanks Jektor,

In other words, if we want to describe the woman he married, could we say like this : "but I don't think Will's mother wanted him to marry a so young (lady)"

is it correct?

Jektor

English (UK)
    "But I don't think Will's mother wanted him to marry such a young lady" or "...a lady as young as that".

Chez

English English
    Maxscy, your original sentence tells us nothing about the age of the woman Will married. Will's mother is only worried about her son being too young to get married. So your follow-up query is pointless – you cannot assume anything about the age of the woman Will is to marry. Jektor has corrected the sentence you suggested, but it is irrelevant to the context.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    could we say like this : "but I don't think Will's mother wanted him to marry a so young (lady)":cross:
    Another alternative would have been "I don't think Will's mother wanted him to marry so young a girl", but that would sound too old-fashioned. Today we use the phrases suggested in #4.

Last edited:

maxscy

Cantonese
    Maxscy, your original sentence tells us nothing about the age of the woman Will married. Will's mother is only worried about her son being too young to get married. So your follow-up query is pointless – you cannot assume anything about the age of the woman Will is to marry. Jektor has corrected the sentence you suggested, but it is irrelevant to the context.
    I asked that because I also wanted to know how to say it in both situation. and I clearly know they are irrelevant. Thanks anyway!

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I think many of us will recall from schooldays if nothing more, that Shakespeare married Ann Hathaway when he was 18 and she 26. There might have been a business side to it, or she was wealthy; I can't remember that.

< Previous | Next >