To me it makes a difference (,) if the influence...

< Previous | Next >

Evelin2208

German
Hey there,

can someone tell me if I need a comma before 'if'. I think no comma is correct, but I am not sure:

To me it makes a difference, if the impact of brand familiarity is significant or not.

• liliput

U.K. English
    Without the comma.

The sentence could make sense with a comma if you changed "if" to "whether" but then the meaning of the sentence would change.

TropicalMontana

American English
    It does not need a comma in either case. The last part of the sentence is the actual subject of the sentence (replaced by 'it' without antecedent).

[The significance of the impact of band familiarity] makes a difference to me.

liliput

U.K. English
    It does not need a comma in either case. The last part of the sentence is the actual subject of the sentence (replaced by 'it' without antecedent).

[The significance of the impact of band familiarity] makes a difference to me.

It doesn't need a comma, but I was imagining a scenario in which a comma would be acceptable. If the "it" refers to something in a previous sentence then a comma would work (with "if" replaced by "whether"). For example:

A: "I want to change the logo."
    B: "I don't think it'll make any difference. Brand familiarity is not that important to us."
    A: "To me it makes a difference, whether brand familiarity is significant or not"

However, I feel I may be straying from the point. In the original sentence the comma does not work at all.

< Previous | Next >