to mind

< Previous | Next >

brunikabubu

Italian
Hello! Can somebody help me understand a sentence I found in a book (Beneath this man, by Jodi Ellen Malpas)?

"Impossible woman." he sulks, standing with me in his arms. I'm placed on my feet and given a chaste kiss. "I'm going to get a shower, you'll come." He arches a suggestive eyebrow and hits me with his roguish grin. I don't mind so much when he demands things like that.

The question is: does she mind or not? She usually says she likes when he's dominant, but also that when he demands something she likes to tease him and do the opposite. I'm confused :(

• ewie

English English
    Hullo Bubu:) She minds (though not necessarily very much) when he demands other things; things like being invited into the shower she minds less than those.

Hi Brunika,
    "Impossible woman." he sulks, standing with me in his arms. I'm placed on my feet and given a chaste kiss. "I'm going to get a shower, you'll come." He arches a suggestive eyebrow and hits me with his roguish grin. I don't mind so much when he demands things like that.
    Ewie: She minds (though not necessarily very much) when he demands other things; things like being invited into the shower she minds less than those.
    I think Ewie misses the understatement. She likes being invited into the shower. She doesn't mind at all. His "You'll come" is the kind of 'demand' she can be quite happy with. She seems to have mixed feelings--though far from negative-- about his other demands--one might guess she 'minds' (objects to) some but not to most of them (depending on how roguishly they are made).

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I'm a little unsure what "like that" modifies. It could be "things like that", or maybe "demands...like that". In other words, does she not mind being invited into the shower...and other things, or does she not mind being asked in that particular way--when suggestive eyebrows and roguish grins are involved? Or am I just picking nits?

< Previous | Next >